1.11.2012

MOVIE QUOTE MAGNETS (homemade gift tutorial)


All families have their own favorite quotes and silly, you-had-to-be-there inside jokes. Upon joining my family, I'm sure Andrew was completely lost trying to follow some conversations. One of us would say something off-the-wall (that undoubtedly came from a favorite movie we had just been reminded of)...we'd all laugh hysterically...and then Andrew would sit there awkwardly wondering what the heck was so funny. 

Anyway. I decided to take a few favorites and create a special birthday gift for my sis. Of course, you don't have to use movie quotes. Other ideas might include names, photos, clip art, boldly patterned scrapbook or wrapping paper, monograms, etc. 
.
But here's what I did. 



First, I typed and printed off a bunch of quotes in varying fonts and colors. Second, I took a flat glass marble (found at any craft store), laid it over the chosen quote, and traced around it with a pencil. This ensured the paper fit the shape of the glass just right. Then I cut it out.



Next, I used mod podge to attach the paper to the underside of the glass marble, so the quote was visible through it. An extra protective coat was brushed over everything.



Then, I took magnets (also from the local craft store)...



...And hot glued one to the back of the flat glass marble. 

That's it. It's ready to stick to the fridge.



The finished products were cute and personal...some serious, some ridiculous. Here are a few. 

(How many of the movies can you identify? Answers are listed at the end of the post.)

The above quote is from a movie I can recite from memory we watched it so often as kids. 


That scandalous quote at the top comes from a hilarious, family-friendly favorite. Becca's impersonation of this line is so spot-on I couldn't resist including it. 

The one on the far right is an unexpected quip from a beloved magical character.




All three of these come from the same Shakespeare play (made into a movie with the likes of Denzel Washington, Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thomspon, Keanu Reaves, and Kate Beckinsale). We love this movie. 


{SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWERS}
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v


"These mashed potatoes are so creamy."
While You Were Sleeping

"You had a child with the new maid?!"
Oscar

"Hey, ho the wind and the rain."
Twelfth Night, by William Shakepeare

"I do love knitting patterns."
Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

"Sweet, Beatrice!"
"Man is a Giddy Thing."
"Sigh no more..."
Much Ado About Nothing, by William Shakespeare



How'd you do? What's your score out of 5? Any favorite movie lines of your own? There are so many great ones, I've already thought of others I wish I'd used...




6 comments:

Sandy -- As Told By Mommy said...

Cute! I want to make some! These mash potatoes are so creamy is one of our most quoted movie quotes haha! Love it!

Ryan said...

gabey and I rented "Much Ado About Nothing"...the boys went back to the "movie store" and got something else within the first 5 minutes!...Gabey and I continued to watch busting a gut...some boys know nothing!

Karen Worth, Central PA said...

I love this idea! I may try this with our favorite movie quotes. Can you name these quotes?
"I think about things like that all the time." "Now, that's a great cup of coffee." "Yeah, well he also claims he invented Alluminum foil. He's dillusional!" "1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!"

Rachel Ashmore said...

Karen,

I don't know the first one!

The coffee one is from "Elf"

Aluminum foil one is "While You Were You Sleeping"

And of course, the last one is "Back to the Future"

How'd I do? :)

Karen Worth, Central PA said...

The first one was from Jack Lemmon in Grumpy old men. The coffee quote I took from Harrison Ford on Witness but he was actually quoting a famous coffee comercial so it probably could have been in Elf too. And you got the last two. :) I haven't done this project yet but I'm still collecting our favorite quotes as I hear my family members repeat them. Just this morning my husband used the quote "Who do I bill this hour to"

Karen Worth, Central PA said...

The last quote is from the same movie as "Who do I look like, the night watchman?!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...