3.28.2010

LEPRECHAUNS, STAIN GLASS, AND SAGUARO CACTUS

.
.


.
.
This month we are charting the weather on a daily basis. Is that old saying correct? In like a lion and out like lamb? Or is the other way around? We're going to find out.
.

.
.
.
Everyday we vote as a class. Was the weather more like a lion or more like a lamb today? Then we take the winner from the pockets on the side and pin it in on that day's date on the calendar.

.
.
.
.
These pictures were taken a few weeks ago, but so far, our prediction is correct. March has generally been quite lovely(think 40 degrees as opposed to 10 degrees). And according to the weatherman, we're going to have rain and snow these last few days.
.
.
.
.
We've had these Lucky Leprechaun Rainbows hanging up all month. Super easy and pretty. I created a full tutorial HERE. 
.
.
.
. 
And because I am far behind, here is February's craft. Just "paint" tissue paper onto wax paper with a glue-water mixture. Once dry, cut into the shape of a heart and add a construction paper border..
.
.
.

They look stain glass-ish in front of a light. Try hanging them in a window!
.
.
.
.

Learning about pronouns the last couple of weeks. Super simple bulletin board to get the kid's attention and help them practice replacing nouns with a pronoun.
.

.
.
.

Our curriculum's story of the week was "Alejandro's Gift" and set in the Sonoran Desert. I grew up there, and it is my personal opinion that not many places in the word compare in beauty. As such, I went all out with the desert theme. Hopefully, these Idahoans didn't mind.
.
.
.
.
Each student made their own saguaro cacti out of construction paper, then added tissue paper, cactus blooms and rice spines. Took them only 10-15 minutes.
.
.
.
.
And because you got me all homesick for the Sonoran, here are some pictures in honor of that incredible place. Nowhere else like it.
None of these pics are mine. I borrowed them from the Internet.
.

.
.

.
Desert springtime blooms.
.
.
.
Superstition Mountains at sunset. Favorite place to hike in the spring.
.
.
.
.
Over and Out.
.
.
.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh. . . our home! I agree that the Sonoran Desert is a beautiful place especially now that spring has come to Arizona. (I'll blow a kiss as the next catus I pass just for you :) Your projects look like lots of fun!

Mocha Frugalista said...

I love the cacti! It inspired my son's biome! Thank you so much for posting these! As a mom and a frugalista, I will be subscribing to your blog for great ideas to keep my little ones entertained.

Unknown said...

Oooh! This brings back great memories! When I taught we did the charting too! I had to share you with my FB peeps, they are going to love your blog!
Here is the link:
http://www.facebook.com/LearningIsChildsPlay
If you would like to pop over and say hi sometime!
:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...