4.12.2011

TUTORIAL TUESDAY--frames


I found three matching wood frames at a local thrift store for a couple bucks. I liked their fun, curvy edges, but by themselves, they were battered and outdated.

Luckily, I had a vision. 

To begin, I painted over the wood with white paint...one coat obviously not enough. 




Three to four layers was about right. But it wasn't finished yet!

Plain, white paint looks...flat...and boring. 



To give it some rustic charm, I roughed it up with sandpaper. 

Ahh..much better. 



There's no rhyme or reason to his phase. Just randomly sand through the paint enough for the pretty wood color to peek through. 



I could have hung them together on a wall somewhere. Small pictures arranged together look more complete. 

It makes my eye twitch to see one little picture in the middle of a big, blank wall. 



But instead, I ended up arranging them on my decorative kitchen shelves. Without pictures. 


I must have been feeling rebellious and dare-devilish at the time. Andrew tells me it's weird...but I kinda like it. You'll have to tell me what you think.  




{source}
In my defense, I have seen empty frames all over the Internet. 





Each frame different in size and shape... 





{source}
 ...Unified by their similar colors.




All the cool kids are doing it. 




{source}
So there you have it. My thoughts on some cheap, funky, decorating ideas. 

Maybe pictures will end up in those frames one day. But for now, I'm satisfied to let my radical side win out. 





4 comments:

Amelia Brame said...

I love it! Empty frames are totally the "in" thing to do :)

Necia said...

They are beautiful! You did a great job and the look awesome with the Willowtree figures. Husband's just don't get it!!

Ryan said...

Tell andrew to take a hike!! they look darling!

Ryan said...

Okay...just so ryan doesn't get crap...i have so many blogs from missions and stuff, i didn't check to see which one i logged in under...so the previous comment was NOT ryan's but mine!!! (andrew's mom)...ryan's going to kill me if he sees it!!!...okay, freak him out and give him a little crap...specifically use the word ... "darling"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...