6.13.2010

LAKESIDE

.
.
.
It was free of charge to get into Yellowstone a few weekends ago, and we were all over it. The night before we could get in to the park, Andrew and I decided to get our first camping of the year in. See how excited we were? Andrew was delirious with joy.
.
.
.
.
We invited Crazy #1...
.
.
.
.
...And Crazy #2. .
.
.
In that order.

.
.
.
And, despite the weather forecast, we were off in Lane's new Jeep.
.
.
In case you were wondering(because I always do): the name of the new Jeep is Injun.
.
But the naming of our vehicles will have to wait for another post.
.
.
.
.
In our search for a place to camp, our fears of rain materialized in the form of cats and dogs. Giant, ferocious cats and dogs. Mixed with hail stones.
.
.
But then, as if God had compassion for our camping plight, the rain slowed, the sun shown, and the most incredible rainbow I have ever seen came into view.
.
.
.
.
It seemed to end in the middle of a nearby field. It looked so close! As a result, I was determined to chase it.
.
.
We'll just ignore the fact that we were headed in that direction anyway.
.
.
.
.

But as far as we could tell, there was no sign of gold or magical men anywhere...and I have to say...it was kind of a let down.
.
.
I did, however, get a few really nice pictures.
.
.
.
.
It soon turned into a full double rainbow! Can you see the faint color above the bright one?
.
.

.
.

I couldn't get far enough away to fit the entire thing in my viewfinder!
.

.

.

We finally found the most beautiful, secluded site, directly on a lake. We hurried to get camp set up before the darkening clouds let loose on us again. We were able to enjoy our hot dogs and company potatoes, clean up, and get to our tents just before we heard the raindrops begin to fall.
.
.
.

The countless posted warnings of frequent grizzly bears in the area made for a restless, uneasy sleep for me. Apparently, I'm a wuss. And I was a sharing a tent with Becca. I like Becca and all, I just have serious doubts at her abilities to protect me in the face of an attack.
.
.
As such, I was up before the sun.
.
.
.
.
But I was glad to be up when I was. I would not have wanted to miss this view from our tent! I love this picture!
.
.
.
.
After a night of consistent rainfall, everything around us was soggy and drippy, but we had remained cozy and dry in our sleeping bags.
.
.
.
.
I spent at least an hour sitting in the doorway, watching these birds float below the lightening sky. Some kind of pelican maybe??
.
.
.
.

I, on my early morning perch.
.
.
.
.

Andrew! My love! My protector from grizzlies and mice alike! How did you sleep without me?
.
.
In case you're wondering, I was sitting in the outhouse, when a mouse crawled under the door to join me. I had a small conniption...and do not wish to discuss it further.
.
.
.
.
Hello, Becca. You are looking exceptionally happy this morning. Enjoying your hot chocolate?
.
.
.
.
Why must I take so many pictures, you ask? Silence, infidel! You would never understand my compulsion!
.
.
And besides, I bought you cinnamon rolls for breakfast.
.
.
.
.

Yes, Master. Whatever you say, Master.
.

That's more like it.
.
.
.
Despite the scenery, we were anxious to be moving on. With impending rain urging us on even faster, we ate our breakfast, loaded up Injun, and hit the road.
.
.
.
.

Our next stop...Yellowstone National Park!

.

.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

How fun! I love Yellowstone.
Are Becca and Lane a couple? They sure are cute! Is it weird that I am asking that?
Jeff has always thought that Emmett looks like Andrew so it's really funny that you noticed that too.

Lindsey Springfield said...

gorgeous pics!!!

Cole Franke said...

Rachel of course I remember you! I tried finding you on myspace years ago. I'm so glad you found me. Such a good memories at Mesquite with you. looks like you are doing wonderful. What a beautiful trip. These pictures are gorgeous! I'll have to find you on fb. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...