1.23.2014

Holy Hannah CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES {sugar and grain free} updated

Yes, I still eat like a crazy person: no sugar, wheat, dairy, or soy products. I did take a break over the holidays, and enjoyed it...but definitely paid the price in aches and pains and other health issues. Now I'm back on track and trying to get my body to settle down and feel like it did back in November. 

Eating this way is not as difficult as it was in the beginning. I've found many great things to eat to keep from feeling deprived. These cookies were one of my favorite discoveries. 



A year ago, desperate for alternatives to carrot sticks and broccoli, I gathered a collection of cookie recipes from the Internet. Experimenting with ingredient combinations, I sought for something that might work for limited little me. The process yielded many failures: Cookies Andrew wouldn't touch and I nibbled at only to justify the cost of  the ingredients...cookies that made me gag and went straight to the trash with no hope of a future...

So, when I eventually pulled these out of the oven and tasted them for the first time, words welled up from deep within my sugar-impoverished soul: "Holy Hannah! These are delicious!" 

I very nearly cried. 



And my exclamation stuck. Several batches later, as I was jotting down the final recipe in my notebook of Candida-diet friendly foods, I labeled it in bold, joy-filled script: "Holy Hannah Chocolate Chip Cookies!"

These cookies, ladies and gentleman, are not just for health nuts. Soft, chewy, and full of flavor, they are enjoyed by little sisters, junk food lovin' husbands and picky brother-in-laws to boot.

Holy Hannah Chocolate Chip Cookies!
  • 1 1/2 C almond flour
  • 1/2 C GF brown rice flour
  • 1/2 C oats (I use gluten free)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp ground sea salt
  • 1/2 C melted coconut oil (I prefer slightly less)
  • 1/3 C coconut glycerin or Yacon syrup
  • dark chocolate or carob chips to taste
Drop into large mounds on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees. Yields 1 dozen. 

{UPDATE: I found an alternative that is just as tasty. Rather than chocolate chips, I add about a tablespoon of cinnamon with a drop or two of cinnamon essential oil. They taste just like snickerdoodles!}

{UPDATE II: Try adding 1/8-1/4 cup of applesauce (no sugar added) if the cookies aren't holding together very well. I think they're much better this way.}

2 comments:

Cameron and Becky said...

Looks yummy! I stumbled on your blog and I am gluten and dairy free too because of digestive issues. So thanks a bunch for sharing. Even though going gluten and dairy free helped me a bunch, the best thing for me so far has been introducing fermented foods into my diet. I know you're probably on the diet for different reasons than me, but I wanted to pass this along in hopes it may help you (or maybe others who read this) too.

Becky

Linda said...

They look very good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...