6.20.2010

DEAR DAD,

.
.
. Hi, Daddy. This is you, at Grandpa's funeral, in your favorite stance. You always stand like this.
.
.
.
.
See? I have others, but I think you get the point.
.
I stood next to you once, while you were in deep conversation with someone, and mimicked all of your stances right along with you. You never noticed, but I sure got a kick out if!
.
.
Don't think I'm being disrespectful. That's not the point of this post. I'm just teasing. Don't all daughters tease their dad's idiosyncrasies? Think of it as a term of endearment....another way to express my affection. It is Father's Day, after all. Here are a few of my Father's Day ponderings:
.
.
.
.
1.) I appreciated the treat drawer at your computer desk...that you sometimes knew I took from...and sometimes did not. There was always something yummy in there.
.
.
.
.
2.) What fun it was to draw with Daddy's nice pens and paper at Daddy's nice drafting table! It made me feel like a real artist. I liked that.
.
.
.
3.) From the times I tried to wake you up earlier then you had planned, I noticed that you always slept with the crook of your arm up over your eyes. I remember that.
.
.
.
.
4.) Do you remember that time when you picked Becca and me up for a visit one summer? You asked what we had been up to, and I'm sure our teenage responses afforded you with as little information as possible. Then, in what I can only guess was another attempt for the lowdown, you asked if we were keeping out of trouble. Becca said yes, and I said no. You paused for a minute before declaring: I don't believe either of you! I laughed a lot at that.
.
Even now, I laugh whenever I think about it.
.
.
.
.
5.) I can't hear a recording of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir without thinking of being at your place. You put them into the CD player every Sunday morning. It created a nice feeling in the house.
.
I recently bought my own CD, in order to carry on the tradition.
.
.
.
.
6.) You once made us sunshine eggs for breakfast, and you were so proud of yourself. I was proud of you too! I had never seen you cook a thing in your life that wasn't frozen first.
.
.
.
.
7.) Remember long car trips? We only went on a couple thousand. I usually got bored and resorted to teasing my younger siblings with me in the back. Then the little punks would start whining and fighting and you'd angrily reach behind with the gial of stopping the contention. Remember how we kids would flatten against the card doors to escape your blindly grasping hand in search of someone...anyone to discipline?
.
Remember how it just made us laugh? Those were good times.
.
.
.
.
9.) Daddy, you always treated us well on Valentine's Day. I still have that heart -shaped box you painted for me when I was little, sitting on my dresser.
.
.
.
.
10.) When I was three or four, I remember leaving my bed in the early mornings to find you eating breakfast before work. You always ate toast for breakfast. I'd climb up next to you on the counter, and you'd make me a piece of toast too. The magical part was when you squeezed the honey on to the bread in an "R" design...for "Rachel", of course.
.
Anytime I ever put honey on my toast today, I always queeze it out in an "R" shape before spreading it around. I bet you had no idea what an impact you would have on all of my future toast-making-experiences!
.
.
.
.
Well, I guess that's all. There are my random thoughts of you. Have a happy Father's Day, Dad. .
.
Love,
Funny Face
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...