6.18.2011

BOUNTIFUL BASKETS


I hesitate to post this for several reasons:
1.) I sound like a TV commercial.
2.) You (like Andrew), are going to think I'm insane for photographing our fresh produce so thoroughly.
3.) I feel insane after photographing our fresh produce so thoroughly.

But if you aren't already aware of this Bountiful Baskets organization, it is in your best interest that you sit down, listen up, and learn yourself something kinda dang cool.

Also, keep in mind, I'm a woman with a lot of extra time on her hands at present.



Bountiful Baskets is a food co-op run by volunteers who buy fresh crops from nearby farmers at amazingly cheap prices. Then, it is evenly dispersed between participants.



If you want your basket of approximately $50 worth of produce for $15, you sign up on their website for the pickup time and location most convenient for you.

It is available in 15 states (including Utah, Arizona, Washington), but you'll have to see if there are any set up in your county.



I go every two weeks to pick up my conventional basket of about 50% fruits and 50% vegetables. I've never been disappointed with what I'm given. Nice variety...everything's fresh...and it's kind of fun to find unique food in your basket that you never would have picked out yourself.



Like cauliflower, for example. I've never bought it before. It smells funny. What am I supposed to do with it anyway?


It forced me to research recipes and experiment a little. Shake things up.




I've even had to Google pictures of some vegetables to figure out what they were exactly.

Jalapenos? Peppers of some kind? I wasn't sure at first.



They also offer add-ons: 2lbs of granola, boxes of in-season fruit, and loaves of nine grain or honey whole wheat bread (in packs of 5 at 2 bucks a piece).




You can even pay a little extra and get your basket 100% certifiably organic. If you're into that sort of thing.




Our grocery bill is now decidedly lower. We live for 2 weeks off this basket and a trip to the grocery store for basic necessities--milk, cheese, butter, meat, toilet paper, and...er...ice cream.

You know, the other things we can't live without.




It feels good to be eating so healthy. Before this, I don't think we were getting quite enough fresh food.



And it's just plain yummy. I couldn't even get a picture of these guys before I'd eaten half of 'em myself.



We don't just have to have a salad every night to get through the veggies either. They go great in stir-fry like yakisoba, or tin foil dinners, casseroles, burgers, soups, and fresh with Ranch dressing.

Personally, I've found the best way to eat celery is smeared with peanut butter and topped with craisins.



And I've always wanted to try making corn beef and cabbage.




I'm enjoying all of this while I can. You see, during the school year, my limited time to plan and cook causes too much of this stuff to spoil before we can ever get to it.




But for now, what else am I going to do with myself besides plan for, eat, and take pictures of produce?

Well, anyway, do I have you sold, yet? If you're interested, go check out the website HERE. Let me know if you have any questions!






1 comment:

Mrs. Ashmore said...

i planned on signing up in az, but never got the chance..thanks for posting cause now i have!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...