1.29.2010

THOUGHT OF THE DAY

.
.
.
Andrew and I attend church in the Hinckley building on campus. I found the quote below, on the door of a professor's office. It got me thinking about how polite society tends to encourage downplaying our personal strengths...especially when we're being recognized for them. For example, how many times have we been given a compliment only to argue with the giver over its validity? But after reading this quote, I'm pondering the art of balancing self efficacy with arrogant pride. It seems like such a fine line.

.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Marianne Williamson
.

.

I was curious about who Marianne Williamson is. After some research, I found she was a woman pastor of a "New Thought" church. Basically, she believed God to be a "force"-- a love that flows in and through everything--rather than an actual being. Also, Jesus Christ is not the literal Son of God or Savior of the world, but an enlightened teacher who was able to successfully tap into this "force". From what I could gather, they believe that prayer is more of a positive thinking thing then a talking-to-a-concrete-father-in-Heaven thing. They're also real big on natural healing through the mind. She has since moved on from this church to put her energy into a successful self-help book business.

.

In Dec. 2003, Time Magazine is quoted as saying:

"Yoga, the Cabala, and Marianne Williamson have been taken
up by those seeking a relationship with God that is not strictly tethered to
Christianity.
"

.

I think it's funny that TIME probably meant for a belief in God without obligation or accountability to sound like a positive indication. But doesn't that make it sound so...unsubstantial? Worldly? Ridiculous? I don't know. Basically, I've come to the conclusion that she's the epitome of a, "philosophies of men mingled with scripture," kind of thing. And with that said, I still like the quote. I guess, I just was hoping for your thoughts. I mean, I "play small" all the time around others, just because it's comfortable and safe. But is it necessarily right?

.

.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hmmmm. . . what an interesting thought. I have heard this quote many times, but never the history. Thanks for sharing.

As far as my personal feelings about playing small. . . We are all children of God which means that our spirits are of divine origin. There is nothing mediocre in divinity and when we allow our lives to be flavored with mediocrity I think we do ourselves, others, and our God a serious dis-service. I think the key is that we remember that as we truly seek to become great through the atonement of our Savior our capacity to recognize, appreciate, and aid the growing greatness in others increases.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...